1st Place - O.P.I. Nail Lacquer
The biggest hype behind O.P.I. is their massive color selection which they develop through trendy and creative collections like Nicki Minaj by OPI and SEPHORA by OPI. Their polishes are usually long lasting and bubble free with a minimal amount of chipping (after four to five days). It's important that you clean and dry your nails before applying nail polish to ensure that your nails are oil free.
Price: $8.50 per bottle
Semi-big bottles that fit in your hand with wide circular brushes. It takes an average of three strokes or less than four to cover your entire nails.
1. 243 colors & shades to choose from
2. Themed collections like Touring America and Texas
3. Unique color names like My Address is "Hollywood" and Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?
4. Long lasting
7. Opaque and non-watery
8. Dries fast
9. Decent sized bottle
10. Large brush for easy applications
1. More expensive than some of the other nail polish brands
2. Brush is to thick for a few people
3. Solution is too thick for a few people
4. Polish dries to fast for a few people
2nd Place - China Glaze Professional Nail Lacquer
If O.P.I.'s color selection is gigantic, China Glaze's collection is super gigantic. With 439 polishes to be exact, C.G. offers more of the interesting glittery and crackle nail polishes that other leading brands lack. Their solution is known to be a little thinner than O.P.I. and whether it's a good or bad thing, their brushes are a bit thinner too. Everyone has their preference as some people like O.P.I. while others like China Glaze. The biggest reason for avoiding China Glaze would be their nail polish dry time, whiles the biggest reason for buying would be that they offer value for each dollar you spend (good quality for an affordable price).
Price: $2.50 to $6.99
Upside-down version of O.P.I. with a thinner brush.
1. 439 colors & shades to choose from
2. Themed collections like Capitol Colours, The Hunger Games and Prismatic Chroma Glitters
3. Unique color names like Electrify and Ray-diant
4. Good wear time
5. Much more affordable than other high quality nail polishes
6. Can be found online for 30% to 50% off
7. Smaller brush works better for people with small to narrow nails
8. Thinner than other brands for those who do not like O.P.I.'s thick solution
9. Interesting and crazy colors
1. Takes longer to dry than other brands
2. Not as thick and opaque as other brands for those who like O.P.I.
3. Requires one or two more strokes than other brands since the brush is not as thick as O.P.I.
3rd Place - Essie Nail Polish
Essie is known for their non-funky sheer cream colored pastels which make them a favorite among students, office employees and wearers who are interested in a non-dramatic finished look. Aside from their lighter shades, they also have around 30 darker polishes ranging from reds and purples to blues and browns. Their polishes are known to be chip resistant, non-bubbly, but a little streaky when you apply the first coat.
Price: $3.50 to $9.00
Regular bottle with an unremarkable brush.
1. 280 colors to choose from
2. Great cream colored and sheer pastel-like polishes
3. Nice color names like Pinking of the Pieces and Lollipop
4. Does not chip
5. Online sales via E-tailers with 25%+ off
6. Glossy finish
7. Thin brushes for small to narrow nails
1. The retail value might be mildly over priced
2. Only a few dramatic, more interesting and funky shades
3. More watery than O.P.I.
4. Some of the colors are almost the same
4th Place - Butter London Nail Polish
Butter London is a high end nail polish provider supplying products free of formaldehyde, toluene and Dibutyl phthalate, resulting in less toxic formulas and a milder odor. The consistency is usually described as being thick like O.P.I. but in a bottle that is a lot smaller and rectangular instead. The rectangle cap can be difficult to use since it covers another more cylindrical cap with a grip and at $14.00 a pop, the price is more expensive than other brands but most buyers are pleased with their purchase.
Price: $14.00 per bottle
Semi-small rectangular bottles with a cylindrical cap covered by a rectangle cap.
1. Doesn't contain formaldehyde, toluene or Dibutyl phthalate (less toxic)
2. Modern colors
3. Unique color names like All Hail The Queen and Frilly Knickers
4. Fashionable packaging
5. Long lasting
6. Chip resistant
7. Less odor than other brands
1. Only 63 colors to choose from
2. Packaging is not user-friendly
3. More expensive than other nail polish brands
4. Smaller bottle than other nail polish brands
5th Place - Zoya Nail Polish
If Butter London is too pricey for you, Zoya Nail Polish may be a good alternative. Like Butter London, Zoya is toxin free and has a decent wear time as long as you use their base coat. It's important to use their base coat if you want good results.
Price: $8.00 per bottle
Regular bottle with a brush that some people may have problems with.
1. Over 300 colors to choose from
2. Doesn't contain formaldehyde, toluene or dibutyl phthalate
3. More affordable than Butter London
4. Decent color names like Carly and Trixie
5. Less odor than other brands
1. Requires Zoya's base coat and maybe top coat
2. More expensive than other drugstore brands
3. The brush may not be the best
Here is a list of other popular nail polish brands (and lacquers) ranked according to their price (most expensive to least expensive):
Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour - Price: $26.00 per bottle
MAC Nail Lacquer - Price: $16.00 per bottle
Revlon Nail Enamel - Price Range: $1.69 to $11.25 per bottle
Sephora by OPI - Price: $9.50 per bottle
Orly Nail Polish - Price Range: to $5.00 (Regular) or $8.50 (Limited Edition) per bottle
Nicole by OPI - Price: $7.00 per bottle
L.A. Colors Art Deco Nail Art, Color Craze Nail Polish, Mini Color Craze & Nail Lacquer - Price Range: $1.10 to $4.50 per bottle
NYX Nail Polish - Price: $4.00 per bottle
Sally Hansen - Price Range: $2.82 to $3.95 per bottle
love & beauty Nail Polish - Price: $2.80 per bottle
NYC (New York Color) - Price Range: $0.99 to $1.99 per bottle
Essence Colour & Go Nail Polish - Price: $0.99 per bottle
Please contact me if you would like to feature this article on your website or beauty blog.
Emafe Rice is a makeup & fashion blogger who founded PinkieRiceGurl.com, she writes about products, beauty, life, friends and family. Click here to read her Top 5 Best Makeup / Cosmetic Brush Companies to Shop from.
Join my site for more Top 5 Best, How-to's and Just Amazing articles :)